Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I HATE EGGPLANT!!

Okay, so I've never really had eggplant (that I remember). And, I've been wanting to try to make eggplant parmesan for sometime because it always looks so appealing...I was wrong. Many people love eggplant, but I simply did not like the taste of eggplant, nor did I like the texture. So we took a couple bites, threw it out and ate ham biscuits instead!


But, in case you do like eggplant, here is my recipe.



Adapted from the "all new ultimate Southern Living" cookbook


Ingredients:

3 large eggs

3 tablespoons water

1 1/2 cups italian-seasoned bread crumbs or panko (I used panko and added some Italian seasoning)

2 large eggplants, cut into 18 slices

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup freshly grated Parm cheese, divided

1 package mozz cheese, shredded

3 cups pasta sauce


Whisk eggs and add water until blended.

Combine breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup parm cheese.

Dip eggplant slices in breadcrumb mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Cook eggplant, in 3 batches, in 1 tablespoon hot oil (per batch) in a large skillet over medium heat 4 min on each side or til tender.

Arrange one-third of eggplant in a single layer in a lightly greased 11x7 baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parm cheese and 1/2 cup mozz. Repeat layers twice. Spoon 3 cups pasta sauce over top.

Bake, covered, at 375 for 35 min. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of mozz cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons parm cheese. Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese melts.
Yield:8 servings


Per serving-Calories 351, Fat 18.1 g

No comments: